DIY Nursery Curtains

The curtains are finished! I let these things stress me out a little. When we found out we were having a boy, I knew right away that I wanted thick striped white and navy curtains. I’ve seen lots of DIY versions from painting, to sewing on stripes, or just finding thick striped fabric (which was pretty much impossible and expensive!).

I was a little down because it didn’t seem to be working out and then I saw these duvet covers at Target.

They were perfect! I bought two twin sized at $19.99/each. Not only are they the perfect color and stripe thickness, but they’re already lined while being light enough to look like a curtain. I didn’t have to hem them either! I just clipped them up, so if we want, we can totally take these down and use as a duvet on his big boy bed down the road.

We made the curtain rod using electrical conduit that we got for a couple of dollars and simple brackets from Home Depot. The finials and curtain rings are from Ikea. I used this tutorial from House of Hepworth’s for the rod and hanging the duvets. Pretty darn simple!

Up close of the rod and finial.

I love them. They were exactly what I wanted, required no sewing, and were cheap! We spent around $60 for the whole set up (curtains, rod, finials, etc). And…they can be used later as actual duvet covers.

Advertisements

Nursery Progress

We’ve been slowly working on the nursery over the past couple of months. The biggest task was cleaning it out! This room was my craft/office space and it was FULL. Hubby knows I need deadlines and goals to finish things, so I couldn’t order the crib until the room was completely empty. That got me moving. 🙂 We ordered the Davinci Jenny Lind from Amazon and it arrived in just a few days!

Then we started the task of patching the walls (the previous owners used this room as their nursery and boy did they do some damage to the walls! I’ve just been camouflaging the spots with hanging things on the wall and covering with curtains over the past few years.) Once Mark patched and sanded everything down, I started painting. I knew I wanted a light grey and was so afraid of picking the wrong grey and having to repaint that I just went with the greys from our guest bath. I knew they looked pretty. 🙂  I painted the walls, beadboard, trim and doors. Such a long process! I used all No VOC paint and worked in a well ventilated area, should you be concerned about Baby Wade.

We ventured out to Ikea to pick up the dresser, rug, and diaper pail. Sadly, we didn’t leave with the chair I wanted. If we can’t find an alternative, I think I’ll be making a trip back over before August.

Here it is in its current state! I’ll be using the top of the dresser as a changing area, but couldn’t help but put a few of the items I’ve been collecting on top for now. I’m going with a classic/vintage/all american boy theme. And by the way, the lamp shade will be changed out. I found that little number on sale for $3 at Lowe’s a couple of years ago.  Curtains are on the agenda next. I found the perfect solution and I’m so excited to get them up!