I made up these art boxes for our niece and nephew. We swapped gifts last night, so it’s safe to post now. 🙂
I found these silver lunch tins at work. They both just magically appeared in the ‘Take’ area in the same week. Both came with promotional stuff inside and were stamped with logos on the outside. I was able to peel both off and then had myself two pretty lunch boxes. I bet you could find these at a craft store. Or you could use a small toolbox. There’s lots of options!
I covered Morgan’s lunchbox with pink polka dotted paper and made a bee magnet from the little wood animals you get can at Hobby Lobby. Her nickname is Morgie Bee, so I thought it fit. For Caleb’s I just stuck with the industrial silver and added a pirate magnet.
I filled their boxes with washable markers, crayons, glue sticks, twine, construction paper, lots of stickers, Martha Stewart puppet kits, and other odds and ends.
Here’s Caleb’s box. The stickers are in library card holders I got from the Dollar Tree earlier in the summer. I put a magnet on the back, so they could be held on the inside of the lid. I put round office labels, smiley faces, and these stickers from Lotta Bruhn. I downloaded her pdf and printed on sticker paper. They are so cute!
Here’s Morgan’s loot (apologies for the awful pictures. This is what happens when husbands rush their wives!)
The ‘paper doll clothes’ pouch is for this sweet little girl. I posted about these free paper dolls last year. You can download your own here. Morgan is 2.5 and a little too small to cut these out herself or be gentle enough not to rip the paper, so I cut them out and ‘laminated’ them with contact paper. I put a magnet on her back so she can stick to the inside of her artbox or on the fridge. Then I put a piece of velcro on her tummy and some on the back of each of her outfits.
Here she is with a few of her outfits. 🙂
I bought them each a drawing pad at the Dollar Tree. The covers were not pretty, not to mention totally falling apart. So at the last minute, I decided to make them a little cuter. I ripped the cover and binding off, then cut down scrapbook cardstock to size. I used double sided tape along the top to tape my new cover onto the pad. Then I used decorative masking tape to replace the binding. I printed their names on sticker paper and adhered them to the front. So much better!
Here they are before their makeover….
These are so much fun to put together and don’t have to be expensive. There are so many great bloggers out there offering free printables. As far as supplies, you can start early stocking up so you can really shop for sales on little craft kits or supplies (think back to school sales!)
And just for fun. Here’s Morgan after she opened hers. She immediately dumped her crayons in the floor and ate markers the rest of the night! Oops!